Lochsa Lodge

Unloading the truck at the Lochsa Lodge. The Lochsa Lodge is a “resort” just on the western side of the Idaho/Montana border. This location is also the site where Lewis and Clark camped during their expedition.

I spent a couple of days here, and will definitely return.

“Clark recorded that on the night of September 14, 1805, the Corps “Encamped opposit a Small Island at the mouth of a branch on the right side of the river which is at this place 80 yards wide, Swift and Stoney.” That river’s Indian name, which the journalists evidently never heard, is Lochsa, meaning swift water. The “branch”–a small stream–no longer flows; its bed was obliterated during the expansion of the ranger station. The men put their 40 horses on the island for the night, probably to discourage them from wandering away in search of food. The Corps bypassed this campsite by several miles on their return trip in June of 1806.

Powell Ranger Station of the Clearwater National Forest, which was built here about 1910, was named for the trapper and homesteader Charley Powell, who lived nearby at the time.” –lewis-clark.org

via 500px http://ift.tt/2sESBcK

Advertisements

Black Eagle Falls

The last of the falls that Lewis and Clark had to get around on the Missouri river. This photo was taken from the side of the road that runs parallel to the Missouri in Great Falls.

A writer from the Century Illustrated Monthly Magazine toured the falls of the Missouri in the autumn of 1887 and reported: “The appearance of the Black Eagle Fall suggests its future use. Some day it will drive saws, spindles, and mill-stones.”4 Indeed, plans for harnessing the fall’s potential were already under way. The first dam, completed in 1891, provided both direct mechanical power and a limited amount of electricity for local use.

via 500px http://ift.tt/2uAtj0v

Black Mountain Lodge

This is the lodge area of the Black Mountain Lodge which also features 4 other cabins on site. Amazing place to stay just outside of Helena, MT. No cell service, no wifi. Had an amazing stay here while visiting Montana. Could not be more relaxing.

via 500px http://ift.tt/2s5p9wc

Helena Women’s Mural

Painted on the side of the Livestock Building, the mural commemorates groups and individual women who contributed to the greater community. Suffragists, painted ladies, schoolteachers, and pioneers, as well as rodeo star Fanny Sperry Steele and guitarist M. J. Williams, represent Helena’s diverse women. Women planned, designed, and painted the mural. Intended to last no more than a dozen years, it has become a permanent landmark. — helenamt.com

via 500px http://ift.tt/2rVqnKt